May is here and so is the start of the sea turtle nesting season here on the Crystal Coast. Every year many sea turtles come to our beaches in late spring to make their nests. And when you stay in one of our Oceanfront vacation rentals, you may have the opportunity to see a nest or even a turtle. Below we have a few things for you and your family to remember as you vacation on the Crystal Coast this year during nesting season.
When Does Nesting Season Start?
Many locals love this time of the year not only because of the warmer temps but also in hopes to see a sea turtle. Beginning on May 1st each year and ends around the end of October on the Crystal Coast. This is the start of the sea turtles nesting season and it’s something you don’t want to miss each year while on vacation. During the night is when you may see the turtles come to the shore and lay their eggs in the nests they have built. The nests are along the coast of North Carolina not just on the Crystal Coast.
Help Protect the Sea Turtles on the Crystal Coast
Atlantic Beach takes protecting our sea turtles very serious as they have made their home on our beautiful shore. You will see several local volunteers each morning looking for new nests that were built the night before. Once a new nest is located, then they will be marked and roped off to keep the eggs safe from predators. Each nest is monitored for the next 50-70 days for their safety and for any activity of when they are ready to hatch. Here are a few rules to follow while you are vacationing on the Crystal Coast during turtle nesting season:
- Do not disturb any of the nests as we want to help keep them safe while they are there.
- Don’t use your flashlight on your phone and don’t leave the outdoor lights on overnight at your Oceanfront vacation rental. Each turtle uses the moonlight to help guide them back to the ocean and any other light will disorient them.
- If you or your kids dig any holes to build sandcastles, bury each other for fun or find any holes after the day, please remember to fill them in. Not only can the sea turtles but also other people can fall into the holes which can injury themselves.
- Make sure that you clean the area completely from trash, or your beach equipment after a day full of fun on the sand. Please clean up after your day at the beach and don’t leave any of your beach equipment on the beach overnight.
- Please keep the beaches clean from any trash or plastic on the days you spend at the beach. We like to keep our beaches free of trash to help with the new hatchlings as much as we can.
- If you see a mother who is in distress, injured or any unmarked nests, please contact the NC Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores at 252-247-4003.
These are the few things that you can do while you vacation with us but we wanted to share these as they are the most important ones to remember. If you haven’t made your vacation reservations, check out our Atlantic Beach vacation rentals today. We can’t wait to see you and your family on your next vacation to the Crystal Coast this summer!